Constructed in 1927, this stately brick building was originally built as a retirement home for the International Order of Railroad Conductors. Between 1941 and 1973. the building was used as a hospital for the U.S. Public Health Service and as a laboratory for the Centers for Disease Control. Turned over to the Savannah Board of Education in 1973, this facility is now Oatland Island Wildlife Center. The Center provides environmental education and wildlife attractions for many school field trips and to the general public.
Moss-draped trees flank the main building, renovated to provide more functional space for the Center. Once used for storage, the second floor now houses bright and comfortable Center offices. The first floor is comprised of event space available for conferences, programs and presentations. The space includes four classrooms, two conferences rooms, and a veterinary clinic with a window for student viewing. The main lobby features a new elevator, functional enhancements, revived original finish features, and a refurbished grand stairway.
Upgrades bring all mechanical and electrical systems to current modern equipment. Renovation of the exterior includes replacement of all windows, brick restoration, new roofing, and structural repairs. Access to the building is vastly improved with the addition of five concrete ramps into the building.