Top

Oatland Island Wildlife Center

Constructed in 1927, this stately brick building was originally built as a retirement home for the International Order of Railroad Conductors. Between 1941 and 1973 the building was used as a hospital for the U.S. Public Health Service and as a laboratory for the Centers for Disease Control. Turned over to the Savannah Board of Education in 1973, this facility is now Oatland Island Wildlife Center. The Center provides environmental education and wildlife attractions to the many school field trips and general public visiting the 150 different animals located on the grounds.