Built in 1924 by John Sprunt Hill, the Carolina Inn is a beautiful and well-known icon on the University of North Carolina campus in downtown Chapel Hill, listed on the National Register of Historic Places and a member of the prestigious National Trust’s Historic Hotels of America. This sixth renovation since its original construction restores the Inn to its original grandeur and traditional warmth, while offering guests the most up-to-date services and amenities.
Fitness Center and Two Model Guestrooms (1,200 SF)
This first phase of the renovation expanded and upgraded the fitness center. The second phase was the renovation of two model guestrooms. These two rooms were viewed by the University to determine the final design for the guest room renovations. The fitness center and two guestroom renovations were completed in 4 months.
89 Guestroom Renovations (96,390 SF)
The third phase of construction included the renovation of 89 guestrooms in the wings of the hotel that were built in 1924 and 1940. All corridors of the hotel were also renovated. The work also included the renovations of Chancellor’s Suites and converting the current administrative office area to suites.
110 Guestroom Renovations (80,286 SF)
To complete Phase II renovations, Choate Construction to perform the second major guest room renovation to the historic inn. This phase included the renovation of 110 guestrooms in the wings of the hotel that were built in 1970 and 1995. Renovations to the South Lobby and the hotel gift shop were also included.
Both renovation phases for The Carolina Inn included extensive asbestos and mold remediation. Also, given that all renovations took place while the Inn remained in full operation, the project site was both tight and extremely restricted.
Carolina Inn Crossroads (4,500 SF)
The complete renovation of the restaurant and bar demolishes the dining area, bar, buffet line, and meeting room to create one grand open space. The new bar sits in the center of the room, with adjacent space becoming the dining area and meeting room. Sliding glass doors provide private dining rooms and a marketplace replaces the original buffet area. The bar and market receives the latest in restaurant equipment. The existing pergola and patio area is replaced to create outdoor seating and dining area. This portion of the project includes new drainage, gas fire pit, and a covered pavilion with lighting and ceiling fans.
All construction took place while the Inn remained in full operation.