Transforming the AASU campus and student experience, the new Student Success Center serves as the central gathering place on this growing campus and provides programs and services for students and the university community. An elegant water fountain showcases the main entrance; upon entering, visitors have a variety of amenities to choose from.
Students can see a movie in the 200-seat Ogeechee Theatre, designed to host lectures, forums and film screenings or get a bite to eat in the Galley, a full-service kitchen and 300 seat food court-style dining room. Other amenities include a bookstore, convenience store, coffee shop, branded food franchise, Student Affairs office, testing area, Career Center, a Student Organization office, large ballroom, meeting rooms and multiple lounges.
AASU seeks to achieve a Leadership in Energy Efficiency and Design (LEED) Silver status for the Student Union. Some of the green features of the building include:
- A ceramic cooling tower/chiller to reduce cooling costs to the campus
- A design that directs daylight into more than 75 percent of interior spaces
- A reflective roofing membrane to reduce solar heat gain in the building
- Finishing materials that use renewable resources like bamboo and natural resins
- The use of brick and concrete that were manufactured in the region
- The capture of refrigerant gases to prevent leakage into the atmosphere
- Removal of roadways/parking in favor of native plants and water features
The new structure is steel with brick and cast stone veneer and the two main entrances boast large curved cast stone facades. The HVAC is a two pipe chilled water system. The cooling tower is a new technology ceramic system housed in a concrete structure with veneer finish to compliment the elevation of the MCC Building.